Tue, 07 Feb|
Colin Neighbourhood Partnership
ASIST - Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
Time & Location
07 Feb, 09:30 – 08 Feb, 16:30
Colin Neighbourhood Partnership, Cloona House, 31 Colin Rd, Poleglass, Dunmurry, Belfast BT17 0LG, UK
About the event
ASIST is a two-day interactive workshop in suicide first-aid.
ASIST teaches participants to recognize when someone may be at risk of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety.
Although ASIST is widely used by healthcare providers, participants don’t need any formal training to attend the workshop—ASIST can be learned and used by anyone.
Goals and objectives In the course of the two-day workshop. ASIST participants learn to:
• Understand the ways personal and societal attitudes affect views on suicide and interventions
• Provide guidance and suicide first-aid to a person at risk in ways that meet their individual safety needs
• Identify the key elements of an effective suicide safety plan and the actions required to implement it
• Appreciate the value of improving and integrating suicide prevention resources in the community at large
• Recognize other important aspects of suicide prevention including life-promotion and self-care
Participants must be aged 18+ and have previously completed safeTALK.
Due to the material covered within this course it is usually not suitable for anyone who has been bereaved by suicide within the last 12 months or anyone who has recently experienced a suicidal crisis.